Nonprofit Q&A: How do we “prove” that our nonprofit has 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status?

pix - question class cullinaneA donor may want verification that your organization is a qualified tax-exempt entity. The most common way to show tax status is to give the donor a copy of your organization’s IRS determination letter, which you received when you received 501(c)(3) tax-exempt entity. This letter shows the type tax-exempt  and whether it is a private foundation or a public charity.

If your nonprofit cannot find its IRS determination letter, call IRS Customer Service at 1-877-829-5500 to request a new copy.

Another reliable way to demonstrate your nonprofit’s tax status is to confirm that you are listed on the IRS’sExempt Organization List. The IRS updates this publication regularly and lists organizations to which gifts are tax-deductible.

The Cullinane Law Group works exclusively with the nonprofit tax-exempt sector: new nonprofits, foundations, religious groups, and social entrepreneurs throughout the United States who seek to create positive change. Contact us today to learn how we can help your organization.


Learn More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *